Writing Life

A periodic record of thoughts and life as these happen via the various roles I play: individual, husband, father, grandfather, son, brother (brother-in-law), writer, university professor and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I was born on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, South Carolina, then lived a while in Fayetteville, North Carolina, before moving, at the age of 5, to Walnut, NC. I graduated from Madison High School in 1977. After a brief time in college, I spent the most of the 1980s in Nashville, Tennessee, working as a songwriter and playing in a band. I spent most of the 1990s in school and now teach at a university in Tennessee. My household includes wife and son and cat. In South Carolina I have a son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Poem

Okay, so I haven't done a good job of keeping this up so far in 2012, but I haven't forgotten it. I'll continue to try to improve!


Christmas Comes to Rebel Court

Baby Jesus by the birdbath,
in the next door neighbor's yard,
flanked by Frosty and Santa on one side,
and O!-lipped carolers on the other,
you can't sleep for the throbbing cars,
the inflatable teddy bear's reedy hum,
and in your own glow lie still and awake.
No crying you make, no tears to short circuit
the starry night of many colors,
the annual alignment of ancient
constellations twinkling above you--
The Windows, The Gables, The Wreath on the Door.

O Tannenbaum! O Come, All Ye Faithful!
O Little Town of Bethlehem! O Holy Night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home